Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflections on my Second Formal Observation

Pre-reflection
I believe my students will really enjoy this lesson. I chose to teach them how to create a bar graph because I know this will come up in their TAKS test. I really hope that they believe my little white lie of the M&M’s not being edible in order to keep them from eating them. Otherwise, I may have to resort to colored cubes as a backup plan if students do not follow instructions. Other than this, I think everything else will work out.
Post-reflection
This lesson went great! My students were engaged the whole time and they really enjoyed working with the M&M’s. I was so happy that my little white lie worked out. The students did not eat the M&M’s at all; that is until I told them to do so. It was a really fun surprise for them. I was very impressed with my students’ graphs. They were so detailed and accurate. I feel very proud of their work. Next time I teach this lesson I will spend more time on teaching students that bars do not always have to be different colors; they can have different patterns. This will be especially helpful when students do not have enough materials to show different colors.
Post-editing reflection
In my video, you are able to see me use different techniques for teaching this lesson. After watching the video of my first lesson, and watching the video of my second lesson, I believe that I have definitely improved. In this lesson, I gave my students more time to analyze the questions that I gave them before asking them the questions again. This gave them enough time to process the information I was giving them and to come up with well-thought answers. Something else that I liked was my tone of voice. At first I was worried about my tone of voice being too low, but after watching the video and editing it, I was able to tell that my tone of voice is just fine. Overall, I am very happy with this lesson. For my future lessons, I will be setting my standards as high as I did for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment